Hello MPS Family!
We are entering March and our auction is right there in our faces. I know you will be really happy when it is behind us. But I can tell you from experience that you will also feel proud and amazed at what we did by working together. And if you have invited some people you enjoy spending time with, you will likely leave having had a pretty darn good time!
I am always floored by how this event comes together. There are so many complex elements and details that have to come together at the right moment for the auction to work. We have been very fortunate this year to have the leadership team that we did. Mercedes Moore, Rebecca Durlin-Smith, Sarah Thistlethwaite, Natalie Reamy, Jenn Baldwin and Lucy Berkley have been working really hard to lead us to success. And they were all doing their jobs for the second year and therefore had a pretty good idea of what was needed and they were able to anticipate most problems ahead of time.
And you! You did an amazing job of getting on that procurement job and not procrastinating, and on inviting guests to attend. I don’t know what the magic spell was this year but WOW! I have not spent one single evening this year worrying about the auction and whether we will be ok financially this year. Not. One. Single. Evening!
So to all of you, whether you are on the leadership team or a member of the greater community, I offer my deepest and most heartfelt THANK YOU. I am both grateful and proud of all that you have done. You are remarkable! See you at the party this weekend!
Coming Up This Month!
Bumper Bowling Field Trips! Bumper bowling with preschoolers is fun and funny! And it qualifies as heavy work which for young children with developing sensory systems and brains is a good thing! Heavy work is neurologically organizing. It helps with regulation and is grounding. And fun. Did I mention it is fun? Here are the details:
- 3s Class: Thursday, March 9th. Meet at Sunset Lanes in Beaverton at 9:30 am. We will be finished by 11:15. Parent Teacher #2 should bring snack for all students and a little extra to share with siblings who may attend.
- Pre-K Class: Thursday, March 9th. Meet at Sunset Lanes in Beaverton at 1:30 pm. We will be finished at 3:15. Parent teacher to bring snack for all students and a little extra to share with siblings who may attend.
- 4s Class: Friday, March 10th. Meet at Sunset Lanes in Beaverton at 9:30am. We will be finished by 11:15. Parent teacher #2 should bring snack for all students including some extra to share with siblings who may attend.
NOTE: There is a $5 fee per child bowling for this trip. Please pay with either cash or check (checks made out to Marty Peterson) and get it to your class rep in advance of the trip. I will be paying for all three classes at one time. We do get bowling shoes for the kids so we will need to know their shoe size if you are not planning on attending with them.
March Field Day! This month’s hike/field day is at Reed Canyon behind Reed College. This is a beautiful wetland that has been reclaimed and replanted by community groups and the college. It is a restored area that provides great habitat for waterfowl, birds, amphibians and small critters of all kinds. And it will officially be spring so hopefully we will see lots of signs of burgeoning life! Here are the details:
- 4s Class: Wednesday March 22nd. Meeting at designated location (to be announced later) at 9:30am. As this is a hike/field day, all students should bring their own snack and water and dress for the weather.
- 3s Class: Thursday March 23rd. Meeting at designated location (to be announced later) at 9:30am. As this is a hike/field day, all students should bring their own snack and water and dress for the weather.
- Pre-K Class: Thursday March 23. Meeting at designated location (to be announced later) at 1:30pm. As this is a hike/field day, all students should bring their own snack and water and dress for the weather.
NOTE: The location of this trip may change based on the prevalent weather. If the rains are too heavy I may change it to Portland Audubon so we avoid any flooding. Stay tuned.
I will be out of class on Friday March 24. I am so excited to be traveling home to Alaska to visit my family. My sister is having her 70th birthday this month and we are making a surprise party for her. We are flying up on Friday morning and my son is traveling from Texas to arrive Friday night and then the party will be on Saturday. I am always happy to go home, but this trip will be extra special.
So now you know what I am doing with my spring break, what are you doing with your kids during their break? Staying home? Traveling? Exploring your neighborhood? Meeting friends or family? Meeting up with your classmates? No matter plans, I hope you enjoy your time with your kids and family.
When we get back from Spring Break, we will have no school due to Inservice Days on April 6th and 7th (Thursday and Friday). I will be holding parent teacher conferences on those days. Sign ups for conferences will be posted in the cubby room soon so watch for that.
Don’t forget to register for the PCPO Parenting and Early Childhood Conference on Saturday March 18th. Lots of great workshops and at a very reasonable priced since we pay the group fee. I hope to see you there.
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns as we head into spring!